Compensation: $50,000 – $65,000 DOE/neg.
Location: San Diego, CA
Reports to: Director of Advancement
This is an exciting new position within the Foundation, which will build the organization’s capacity to better serve its existing base of supporters and cultivate new relationships. The Stewardship Manager will be vital in creating and implementing a comprehensive stewardship program that includes leveraging special events to create meaningful interactions with supporters, and to encourage them to engage with efforts supporting Library services in San Diego. This position will collaborate on, and implement, strategies for donor recognition and relationship management. The Stewardship Manager will interact with a variety of stakeholders, including board members, committee members, donors, volunteers, library staff, and vendors. Responsibilities will also include implementing a system of meaningful benefits for the Foundation’s Donor Circle members and supporting corporate and foundation relationship building.
1. Program Management
• Create and implement a comprehensive system for stewardship of various constituents.
• Work closely with Foundation management to implement highly customized individual major donor stewardship plans.
• Implement Donor Circle benefit program.
2. Special Events
• Serve as the primary events professional for the organization’s large annual event and other special events.
• Liaison to event committees and volunteers.
• Maximize events for cultivation and stewardship of supporters using available resources wisely and effectively.
• Create systems and procedures which utilize event data in multiple capacities, including event follow up and communication.
• Integrate events into the Donor Circle program and overall stewardship plan.
3. Stewardship and Strategic Planning
• Assist with the creation of short-term and long-term stewardship strategies for donors and prospects and take the lead on plan execution, which includes:
• Customized donor recognition
• Personal donor outreach and engagement
• Creating philanthropic goals and stewardship metrics
• Tracking progress to goals and creating innovative strategies for exceeding them.
• Reporting on activities and outcomes and analyzing this data to inform decisions.
4. Constituent Relations
• Provide excellent customer service to key stakeholders, including board members, committee members, donors, volunteers, elected leaders and vendors.
• Deliver small personal touches to surprise and delight supporters of all types.
• Assist with relationship recovery and repair efforts if required – not afraid of difficult conversations.
• Work closely with the Foundation’s leadership team to produce donor stewardship materials such as campaign collateral and impact reports.
• Utilize exceptional writing skills to produce a wide range of correspondence, informational materials, and program collateral.
• Assist with growing the organization’s use of social media and online communications.
• Communicates honestly and maintains integrity of confidential information.
6. Special Projects and Assignments
• Create and execute special projects as assigned.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends if required.
ATTRIBUTES & WORK STYLE:
• Passionate: Enthusiastic about libraries, learning, and public access to education and enrichment opportunities.
• Team Player: Enjoys working with others and fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment. A reliable and dependable teammate.
• Growth Mindset: Curious, innovative and entrepreneurial; someone who loves seeing ideas through to execution and impact.
• Flexibility: Comfortable with ambiguity; views challenges as learning opportunities.
• Communicative: Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Meticulous: Superior attention to detail and accuracy.
• Creative problem-solving skills: Plans for the avoidance of potential trouble spots. Collaborative and solutions-oriented in the face of challenges.
• Positivity: Charismatic, warm and welcoming; a true “people-person.”
• Community-minded: Skilled at connecting with people across the community and demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence.
• Tact & Diplomacy: Patient, and willing/able to have the difficult conversations as required.
• Trustworthiness: Honesty in all activities and handles sensitive and confidential information with the highest integrity.
• Metrics-driven: Pairs ideas with solutions and measurable outcomes.
• Planning and Process Management: Exceptional mind for optimizing workflow and managing people, systems, procedures, budgets and programs.
• Self-Starter: Demonstrates a strong personal initiative and is able to work independently.
• Judicious: Strong decision-making skills.
• Resourcefulness and Efficiency: Uses time and organizational resources wisely.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in a non-profit/philanthropic organization.
• Experience managing successful large and small special events from conception to completion.
• At least 2 years of experience working in a donor-facing capacity.
• Experience working with fundraising software programs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
• Graphic design skills helpful.
• Experience using social media to achieve event goals helpful.
• Writing sample will be requested at interview.
WHO WE ARE:
The San Diego Public Library Foundation’s mission is to strengthen communities by supporting excellence in the San Diego Public Library system through philanthropy, advocacy and outreach The San Diego Public Library Foundation is a catalyst for creating stronger communities by creating through investment in the San Diego Public Library system — where access to resources supporting literacy, work readiness and lifelong learning ensure equal opportunities for success. The Library Foundation raises funds, builds collaborations and honors our patrons and donors. The Library Foundation supports the entire system of 36 library branches across the City of San Diego. Our team of 11 staff members is based at the new downtown Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common.
WHAT WE DO:
Major accomplishments include raising more than $135 million over 11 years that allowed for the construction of the San Diego Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common nine new library branches and improvements to existing branches. The Library Foundation has also helped the Library expand collections throughout the system, enhance crucial programs such as the Summer Reading Program, create new programs, including Career Online High School and Library NExT, work with the Friends of the Library to meet City Matching Fund goals for fifteen consecutive years, fund IDEA Labs; and provide millions of additional dollars in funding for books and resources. To learn more about the San Diego Public Library Foundation, please visit us: https://supportmylibrary.org/
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Liliane Lendvai, Operations Manager, Blair Search Partners
(Temporary to Permanent; Full-Time; Non-Exempt)
The San Diego Public Library Foundation’s mission is to strengthen communities by supporting excellence in the San Diego Public Library system through philanthropy, advocacy and outreach. The San Diego Public Library Foundation is a catalyst for creating stronger communities through investment in the San Diego Public Library system — where access to resources supporting literacy, work readiness and lifelong learning ensure equal opportunities for success. The Library Foundation raises funds, builds collaborations and honors our patrons and donors. The Library Foundation supports all 36 library branches across the City of San Diego. Our team of 11 staff members is based at the downtown Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common.
The Development Assistant is a temporary position, with the intention of permanent placement in the near future. The Development Assistant supports the Manager of Donor Services by providing data entry and updates and running reports within the Raiser’s Edge database, the Operations Manager with administrative support, and the entire San Diego Public Library Foundation team to achieve fundraising goals. This position also provides key administrative and logistical support for special events. The ideal candidate will possess keen attention to detail, strong writing and oral communication skills, eagerness to learn new skills, and flexibility to meet competing deadline goals in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
• Collect and sort daily mail for processing
• Process all donations in donor database, and create and send gift acknowledgments
• Manage recurring reports from Raiser’s Edge for the Development team and Accounting
• Manage membership renewals for the Library Foundation’s Donor Circle membership program
• Provide donor outreach support, including drafting correspondence
• Maintain accurate electronic and hard files of donor records
• Coordinate bulk mailings
• Assist with donor events, including liaising with vendors and volunteers, tracking RSVPs/sponsors/hosts, managing registration, and producing related reports
• Assist with setup and cleanup before and after events and meetings
• Answer general office phone calls and emails
• Provide selected administrative support to all members of Foundation team
• Maintain and order office supplies
• Assist with management of administrative volunteers
• Perform other administrative tasks as needed by the team
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• 1-2 years of experience with data entry and reporting in Raiser’s Edge (or similar donor database system)
• Quick data entry skills balanced with strong accuracy and an acute attention to detail
• Demonstrated knowledge and practical application of internet and Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive donor information
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects and shifting priorities
• Experience providing support to special events preferred
• Previous non-profit experience preferred
lease email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Development Assistant- Application. Please include in your cover letter how you found this job posting.