The San Diego Public Library and San Diego Public Library Foundation are developing a new master plan. The Library Master Plan is being built in collaboration with the Mayor and City Council, the Friends of the San Diego Public Library, and the Library Commission will provide a long-range vision and strategy for the San Diego Public Library facility, technology, and program investments.
VISIT HERE to visit San Diego Public Library website to:
- Read the report
- Make public comments on the Library Master Plan
- Participate in Library Master Plan public presentations
MARK YOUR CALENDARS for two upcoming public presentations of this plan.
Tuesday, August 24 at 4 p.m. (Follow THIS LINK on August 24 to join this online event.)
- Saturday, September 18 at 2 p.m. (Follow THIS LINK on September 18 to join this online presentation).
Please note: The Library will be posting the full report for review prior to these meetings along with a form for public comment.
June 2, 2021 Presentation of Library Master Plan Preliminary Findings and Framework
VISIT HERE for the document presented at the June 2, 2021 Library Commissioners meeting.
These preliminary findings and framework incorporate input from:
- Nearly 7,500 San Diegans who completed the community survey, either online or printed. The survey was available in seven languages.
- 15 focus groups with marganalized and underrepresented communities conducted by the University of San Diego’s Nonprofit Institute to ensure we hear from diverse voices.
- A survey of hundreds of Library staff.
How can I help?
Feedback from the June 2 Library Commissioner meeting and other public comment opportunities this summer will also be incorporated into the plan.
Sign up below to receive updates on these opportunities.
- Why is a plan needed?
- What’s been done already?
- What’s next?
- Sign up for updates or for a presentation.
Why is a plan needed?
The current plan, adopted by the City Council in 2002, is outdated and based on assumptions from the 1990 census. It does not consider current technologies or reflect how the Library has evolved and is used today.
What’s already been done?
With financial support from six City Council offices, we began a preliminary planning phase in 2019 and engaged nationally recognized library consultant Group 4 Architecture, Research + Planning, Inc. Group 4 has more than 30 years of experience with library master plan projects nationwide, including in Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, and Cincinnati. Group 4 presented preliminary “Phase 0” findings in December of 2019:
- Phase 1 preliminary findings and framework (video of presentation, presentation document).
- Phase 0 findings.
- Video of presentation at the December 2019 Library Commission meeting.
- Overview of the Library Master Plan process.
In addition to the Community Survey, focus group meetings were held this spring with populations who may not be able to participate in the Community Survey. Other community engagement opportunities are being explored. A draft of the plan will be shared later this summer with the final plan unveiled in the fall.
Share information with your friends and networks
For more information
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-236-5849.